Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Interview of Christine France for my senior project

Christine France-

1.) Why did you make the decision to work with youth (in particularly, becoming involved with PBD)?
I have always enjoyed working with youth. Especially teaching dance. I decided to join PBD because of my love for dance and my desire to share it with pretty much anyone who is interested in learning to dance. And this was my opportunity to do what I love. I have found that youth in particular have a new found vibrance about them when they learn to dance.

2.) How do you think one could (particularly me) help advertise for our dance program? Basic ways of communication, posters, internet, announcements, word of mouth.

-What information besides these answers, pictures and statistics of youth's fitness today would you advise (or if you have direct things you would like) me to put on this page? Maybe ways to get started in physical fitness. Maybe ideas in basic movement. Beginning with stretching, rhythm, dance vocabulary. For instance, you can't teach someone to drive a car unless they know the details of what they're driving. They may be able to turn the key, but if they don't know where the brake is they really shouldn't step on the gas. I hope that made sense.
-How would you suggest one could begin to get involved in our program? Any previous preparation, etc...? To begin to get involved in our program you simply need to have the desire to dance and the commitment to stick with it. From there it's really up to you how far you want to go. How hard you want to work.

3.) How do you think participating in ballroom will build the personal and physical qualities that youth lack today? Ballroom dance teaches much more that how to dance. Physically, it stretches the body, increases cardiovascular health, balance, coordination, strength. Things youth lack today. Personally, it builds character, self esteem, appreciation for others, reliance, self worth, commitment, respect for self and others. Things youth lack today.

No comments:

Post a Comment